Tuesday, February 3, 2009

word games

When did data become plural? The only thing data are is is *esplode*

If I hear one more instance of "begging the question" being used when it should be "raising the question", I might lose it. One is a logical fallacy the other is basically an if -> then statement. I can handle the math behind both so I'm not entirely sure why this bothers me, but dammit they mean different things, semantics are all we have people!

When asked why our government is mortaging our future and spending more now than it did under President Bush, be sure to say in a dark voice resembling Emperor Palpatine "O-BAMA". I did this last week and now my office is using "O-BAMA" as an expletive. Guys, this is your chance to spread a new meme, JOIN US!

And I thought yarwhal was a real word º~º <- disappointed emoticon

For anyone that missed The Colbert Report last night, check out the "Nailed 'Em - Amtrak Photographer" video (best part starts at the 3:10 mark). LINKY

Ok, time for everyone to share their pet peeves here during Pet Peeves Week at TS™

EDIT: Snakes are not poisonous (ok, there might be one or two poisonous snakes out there, but I doubt it). What people mean is that snakes are venomous. Yes there is a difference. Yes this bothers me. No I don't know why.

3 comments:

RiCap said...

I read an article yesterday about how with the economic downturn more people are annoyed by spelling and grammar errors, measured by the amount of punctuation focused blogs and social media. Yes it was an entire article on this. They postulated that it allowed people a measure of control with a system that had defined rules. Perhaps you're feeling out of control in other areas of your life. I'll be seeing Dr. Oz next week, so I'll check with him to confirm my diagnosis.

juha said...

I just spent six days looking for grammar or spelling mistakes in that comment. More errers plz!

RiCap said...

It could probably use an extra comma or two.