Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weeeeee!


It would appear they're building a Six Flags™ outside my office. Look! It even has its own mono-rail, except it runs on two tracks...around the rest of the city. So it's not going to be an amusement park, but it will be a park and a neat looking one at that. The light rail has been pretty solid so far with the exception that there is no accountability. By that I mean, you don't pay when you get on, you're supposed to buy a pass on the platform and have your pass/receipt when you're on the train and they have security officers on random cars asking to see everyone's pass. There are no turnstiles, no conductors, no guaranteed method of recovery. I've ridden it about a dozen times and have had my card checked once. But it sure makes getting to Tempe quicker! or downtown to the new amusement park. Although at this point I can't go on rides anyway. Oh yeah, guess what happened guys. Apparently I herniated a disc this past week? I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I suspect the five hours of volleyball last Saturday may have been a bit of an instigating factor. Sunday my neck/back was a little tight, Monday it was worse, and Tuesday I fainted on the way to the bathroom from the pain. Who faints? people haven't fainted since the '40s. I made it to work for a couple hours, then went to the Health Center who recommended I go to the ER. A CT scan, MRI, and six hours later I was told I have a C5-C6 disc herniation. ugh. They prescribed steroids for the inflammation and vicodin for the pain. It's one of those things that sounds bad, but like any injury you learn to live with it. And, as with any injury, it's the little things that prove to be the biggest challenges. Stuff like putting on socks, getting a backpack on, shopping for groceries. Man, grocery shopping sucks, carrying around your vittles in that little basket and then carrying them home. woof. And as I sit here I'm reminded - sit with your back up against the back of the chair...no slouching with a herniated neck, big no-no. So it looks like I'm relegated to card games and watching sports instead of participating in basketball or volleyball games. Maybe I'll spend some more time with homework or my French. maybe.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Herniating anything is bad news. Lesbian Sarah almost got paralyzed because of her herniated disc. Sheesh. I'm glad you decided to stop being Mr. Invincible and go see a doctor! Get well asap and move to Denver where there are no such things as herniated discs.

RiCap said...

wow Sarah, if news gets out about Denver magically curing herniated disks you're going to have a huge influx of gimps. Sounds like that's definitely the place to be Mike. Feel better. PS what happens if you don't have a ticket when they check? Is it statistically worth not buying a ticket?

Anonymous said...

Denver doesn't have herniated discs because people die on the ski slopes whilst battling trees. At the moment it's not worth not buying a ticket as ValleyMetro threatens fines ranging from $50-500 dollars and loss of transit privileges, but if the fare increase they're proposing goes through (possibly $7/day...currently $2.5) then it becomes worth it.