Monday, November 17, 2008

Lenses

The Bears losing on Sunday was:
a.) awesome
b.) lousy
c.) huh-wha?

Obviously the answer is b.), but that's just my perspective. It's amazing how often that word is used and I have no idea how to really apply its definition. It's the old "look at it from someone else's point of view", in the moment I can't do it. Later on I can analyze, and often over-analyze, a given situation, but while talking to someone? I guess part of that is empathy. It's hard not to be selfish and only think of how what the other person is saying applies to and affects me. I guess that's why I have so much respect for people that are able to read and react to people. These people can recognize the right thing to say and do, and perhaps even more important the right thing not to do or say. Sometimes people need to vent, sometimes people need help, other times they might just need a second opinion and therein lays the true value of people-reading. Ever try to fix something or give help to someone that just needed to get something off their chest? I don't advise it.

It's all about perspective, point of view, lenses. For example, I love windy days. It's stormy, some clouds overhead, the gray sets in - like mood lighting, the smell of rain in the air, birds struggle to find a secure perch before the storm, and the wind whips through my luxurious hair. Except that someone is going to have to clean up all the debris afterwards. How had I never thought of that before? The grounds crew of my apartment complex must hate windy days. How many other things do I enjoy that make other people's lives more difficult? Wet, heavy snow is sure to ruin a plow driver's day. Getting computer components delivered the grotto probably doesn't do much more than annoy the UPS guy. Ordering my double-cheeseburger plain seems likely to agitate those cooking it up, not to mention slow down the rest of the process and make the people behind me wait even longer. I guess it's all about lenses...and it's taken me a long time to recognize I even had any on. What else don't I know?

This post was:
a.) awesome
b.) lousy
c.) a great cure for insomnia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C. Definitely. So riviting it would cure any insomnia I might have.

Anonymous said...

Ah we meet again Agent, Special.