Tuesday, March 17, 2009

trickery

Apparently sitting at home, quietly reading is no longer the thing to do on Tuesday evenings, who knew? I've had no fewer than three people call me and excitedly ask "Hey, where you at? What you up to?" 1.) I'm at home 2.) I'm not ending my sentences in prepositions?

These responses, for whatever reason, seem to draw the ire of the caller. "Well, what are you doing later [on]?" Hmmm, since you insist, I was going to finish reading this technical manual for the Cisco CTS3200 TelePresence and Unified Conferencing System then I was going to jump back into Free Culture because it's been two days since I've had a chance to pick that one up and I was thoroughly enjoying it until I had to put it down and actually do stupid schoolwork. Hello? still there? This massive sentence usually puts them to sleep or makes them hang up. But for those still on the line I get a wicked tongue lashing about reading and being "boring" and a "recluse" or "homebody". Look you philistines, I enjoy my quiet time and I enjoy reading I don't care if it's Saturday night or Tuesday night if I have a good book in my hands (or on my Kindle) I want to be reading it. The End.

I guess when I don't want to go out with my friends it's because I "enjoy the dark, dank confines of [my] cave-like apartment", but when they don't want to go out it's because they're "trying to save money" or "have other plans" or "jesus christ it's nine thirty in the morning dude". Look, I'm twenty-five and stuck in a surprisingly meaningless existence - I don't need some silly excuse to drink, if anything I need a reason NOT to be inebriated (and even work fails to be reason enough). I never realized "my friends" - who are terrible people and I have no idea why I bother keeping them around - were so happy with their lives they need special occasions to consume depressants. Me? I do it to help me sleep.

Anyone have good book recommendations? Preferably non-fiction =) I'll pimp How We Decide it's a great book and his blog http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/ is fascinating. It kept me distracted from homework for a few hours this past weekend.

Grandma Simpson would be proud ;)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

you're only 25 for 6 more days...better live it up while you still can.

juha said...

You'll be happy to know I crushed my own spirit...I wrote twenty-six and thought "wait, is that right? Am I about to turn twenty-seven?" Then I DID THE MATH to confirm I was still 25. I guess that's a side effect of being +1 years for most of your adult life.

You damn kids think you're invincible cuz you're all young. Ohh, look at us, look at us, we're young, we're hip, we listen to Tech N9ne and do The Bartman and stay up past midnight. We always make the scene cuz we're motherfuckin' SCENE kids! Ohhh Ohhh

Also, T-Rex reads my blog?

Sarah said...

Lying always comes back to bite you in the end. Should've just begged an actual 21yo to buy you beer and waited the extra year.

T-Rex is awesome. But not as awesome as Triceratops.

RiCap said...

I always have to ask Scott how old he is so I know whether I'm 25 or 26.

Sarah said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappy Birthday!

You know where the best place to celebrate your birthday is? Yes, that's right...Denver. If you hurry you can still make it.